Monday, February 8, 2021

Paradigms in Learning

I think sometimes the theories we use or don't use have a lot to do with the content, the age, even the day we are teaching.  If I had to pick one, I would say my style is more Social Constructivism.  I tend to use my classroom as a springboard in both directions.  I teach adults who come from varying backgrounds and opportunities.  Their individual funds of knowledge play a huge factor in how I present material.  For example, when I teach various aspects of the U.S. Constitution, I allow my international students (many of whom are refugees with family still trapped in their home country) to teach us as a class why we should be so thankful for freedoms.  As I tried to illustrate in my visual metaphor, I believe that a student's experiences, values, etc all play a role in how they connect to my class and to how they will learn.  I make it a point to get to know them as people as best I can.  As a colleague said in another grad class and has stuck with me, "I cannot have their minds until I have their hearts."

For my “Visual Paradigm of Learning” metaphor, I created a stick-figure student looking down the road toward his future.  All around him are things that influence his learning: values, experiences, opportunities, beliefs, culture, family, traditions and worldview.  Looking over the various theories that were presented, I would say I align most with constructivism, although I really believe the best approach is a combination of theories, dependent of all the factors of the specific class. My students have varying backgrounds and vast differences in opportunities.  I present material different ways in different semesters, depending on the students I have.  However, I always treat my class as a community.  I believe that I best teach when I know my students well and they feel safe and valued.

I also believe that teaching goes way beyond facts, theorems, and output. We are shaping students into the best citizens and human beings they can be and no one theory teaches us the best way to do that.  We celebrated Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. this week and one of my favorite quotes of his is, "The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." Our theories and classroom practices must combine ways to advance a student both intellectually and personally or we are not fulfilling our calling, in my opinion.  And yes, I do think teaching is a calling.  It is my life’s’ purpose and I hope you feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment